Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rat-a-tat-tat

On Bell of Lost Souls we were discussing some of the merits of my Imperial Guard list recently, especially in regard to the Special Weapons / W snipers I took. Really it was more about the Ratlings vs Traditional Snipers and it had some valid points so here's a quick pro/con of both of them:

Ratlings



Pros:

Better BS means more accuracy
All models in the squad have Sniper weapons
Infiltrate allows better positioning at the start of the game
Stealth gives defensive bonuses

Cons:

Takes up an elite slot
Low Leadership makes giving orders more difficult
Low Leadership can send them running very quickly
Can't hold objectives

Guardsmen Snipers



Pros:
Scoring Unit
Higher Leadership so orders are more likely to be followed
Spotters with Lasguns provide some weapons diversity and allow additional orders options

Cons:
Higher cost for initial unit (Special Weapons Squad w/ sniper rifles is 20pts more expensive than ratlings for the base unit)
Lower BS, less accurate
No special abilities


In my last game my basic guardsmen snipers actually paid for themselves, held their objective and kept their targets at bay. I've never had much success with them as a unit but this particular game they were worth every penny. Based on the ideas above next game I'll probably split the differance and take one squad of Guardsmen with Sniper rifles to sit on an objective and provide cover fire and then a 5 man squad of ratlings to focus their more accurate fire on key enemy units. The same amount of points is spent and it does give me some extra options during the game.

3 comments:

  1. I've just never had any luck with snipers. One game they managed to take down a Wraithlord, but I think that was the only good experience that I've had with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, I take them in the hope that they'll work out this time (and cause lousy Gaunt's Ghosts has me convinced they're awesome) and every time they just die or miss every shot. This past game though they paid for themselves in full by helping keep a devestator squad off balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I include snipers, it's not so much that I expect them to contribute a whole lot during the game but rather I do it just because I think the models are cool.

    ReplyDelete